Did you know that almost 80% of premature stroke and heart disease can be prevented through adopting a healthy lifestyle?
Research by the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation (CHSF) indicates that 9 in 10 Canadians have at least one risk factor for stroke or heart disease—and that almost 80% of premature stroke and heart disease cases are avoidable by making some simple lifestyle changes.
Two key indicators of potential heart disease are high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. Here are 7 tips that can help lower both, and improve your overall heart health:
- Manage your weight. Obesity is linked to high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which can cause numerous problems for your heart.
- Exercise regularly. An inactive lifestyle doubles your risk of heart disease and stroke. And—in addition to helping control your weight—regular exercise can help reduce stress, lower your blood pressure and give you a better night’s sleep.
- Avoid high salt intake. A high salt diet can raise your blood pressure and therefore increase your risk of heart disease and stroke. Reduce how often you eat out, and the amount of prepared foods you eat at home. Be sure to check labels for the sodium count.
- Limit fat—especially saturated fat. The CHSF recommends a diet comprising less than 30 per cent fat intake and less than 10 per cent saturated fat in your daily diet.
- Control alcohol intake. Excessive alcohol consumption can increase your blood pressure. If you choose to drink alcohol, follow these safety guidelines to decrease the health risk.
- Quit smoking. According to the Center for Disease Control, smoking is estimated to increase the risk for both coronary heart disease and stroke—by two to four times. But the encouraging news is that once you stop smoking, in a surprisingly short time your risk of getting heart disease drops dramatically. So it’s never too late to quit!
Of course, not all heart complications are avoidable, so make sure you are protected in the event something does happen. Be sure to choose life insurance that is right for you, and have the right disability and office insurance to determine whether your practice could survive without you while you recover.
Contact us at 1.800.561.9401 or email@example.com to discuss your insurance needs, and confirm you have the right protection for your situation.