Ontario Excess Malpractice Plan Policy Coverage Changes in 2021
Below is a summary of key coverage changes between your current plan and the 2021 plan. The 2021 plan will continue to be underwritten by the Aviva Insurance Company of Canada (Aviva) and will be effective on January 1, 2021.
Premiums for the Ontario Excess Malpractice Insurance plan will not increase in 2021. Premiums will remain the same as the 2020 rates.
Summary of key coverage changes in 2021 include:
- In 2021, there are no changes to the per claim coverage limit available under this plan. The aggregate limit remains at three times the coverage limit for clients with $1, $2, $3 or $8 million of Ontario Excess Malpractice insurance. For clients with $23 million of Ontario Excess Malpractice coverage, the maximum annual aggregate limit will be $25 million. In 2020, the aggregate limit was 3 times your coverage limit at all coverage levels.
- The extended reporting period coverage for former members will be 24 months. In 2020, this coverage was offered for a period of 60 months.
- The 2021 plan contains an exclusion related to Contagious Diseases.
- The Contagious Diseases Exclusion makes an exception for claims related to Common Oral Diseases. For this exception, the policy provides a coverage limit of $1 million, with a $5 million aggregate limit or your existing aggregate limit, whichever is less. Please read the full details of the Contagious Diseases Exclusion in the PDF attached below.
- The insurer may cancel an Individual Memorandum of Insurance for underwriting reasons on 30 days’ notice. In 2020, the cancellation notice period was 90 days.
Please read the full details of the changes in the 2021 Aviva Full Details of Changes attached PDF below.
For your reference, please download a copy of your new policy booklet below:
2021 Aviva Full Details of Changes
2021 Policy Booklet
2020 Policy Booklet
Contagious Disease Exclusion