CDSPI Malpractice Insurance Plan Policy Coverage Changes in 2021
Below is a summary of key coverage changes and differences between your current CDSPI Malpractice Insurance plan and the 2021 plan. The 2021 plan will continue to be underwritten by the Aviva Insurance Company of Canada (Aviva) and will be effective on January 1, 2021.
Premiums for the Malpractice Insurance plan will not increase in 2021. Premiums will remain the same as the 2020 rates.
Summary of key coverage changes in 2021 include:
- In 2021, there are no changes to the per claim coverage limit available under this plan. The aggregate limit remains at three times the coverage limit for clients with $3, $4 or $5 million of Malpractice Insurance. For clients with $10 or $25 million of coverage, the annual aggregate limit will be subject to a maximum annual aggregate limit of $25 million. In 2020, the aggregate limit was 3 times your coverage limit at all coverage levels.
- The 2021 plan contains an exclusion related to contagious diseases.
- The contagious diseases exclusion makes an exception for claims related to Common Oral Disease. For this exception, the policy provides a coverage limit of $1 million, with a $5 million aggregate limit. Please read the full details of the Contagious Diseases Exclusion in the PDF attached below.
- The 2021 plan contains an exclusion related to intoxicated practitioners.
- The exclusion related to criminal acts was revised from: “Injury arising out of the performance of any criminal act” to “Any criminal act committed by or at the direction of the Insured.”
- Aviva is now using “error or mistake”, where the previous wording used was, “error or omission.”
- The cancellation of an Individual Memorandum of Insurance during the term by Aviva can occur for non-payment only, upon 15 days’ notice by registered mail or personal delivery. Previously Aviva could cancel an Individual Memorandum of Insurance 90 days prior to renewal for underwriting reasons or on 15 days’ notice by registered mail or personally delivered for non-payment, fraud or misrepresentation by the Insured.
- Definitions were added to the policy and are indicated by bolding.
- Conditions of coverage in Section 13, previously Section 14, under subsection (f) have been revised as it relates to actions by one insured against another. Please read the full details of the Conditions of Coverage and Legal Proceedings Changes in the PDF attached below.
- How Legal Proceedings are to be conducted in Section 15, previously Section 16, has been revised under subsection (a) “Company’s duty to defend actions” and subsection (e) “Assumption of liability by Insured.” Please read the full details of the Conditions of Coverage and Legal Proceedings Changes in the PDF attached below.
Please read the full details of the changes above in the 2021 Aviva Full Details of Changes attached PDF below.
For your reference, please download a copy of your new policy booklet below:
2021 Aviva Full Details of Changes
2021 Policy Booklet
2020 Policy Booklet
Contagious Disease Exclusion
Conditions of Coverage and Legal Proceedings